Feeding the Homestead Flock
*Table of Contents for Feeding Section is at bottom of this page.*
My advice on feeding the homestead flock can be boiled down to:
Take the feeding of your flock into your own hands. Don't be “buffaloed” by the “experts” and their feeding solutions based on highly flawed paradigms.
Try to feed your birds the way a chicken on her own in the wild would feed herself. The key to homesteading success is imitation of natural systems. That should be the key when we think about feeding as well.
You can provide more of your flock’s feeds out of home resources, at any scale.
Table of Contents for Feeding Section
- “Feeding the Homestead Flock: It Ain't Rocket Science!”
- “Making Your Own Poultry Feeds”
- “Feeding the Flock from the Homestead's Own Resources”
- “Alternatives to Soy”
- “Sprouting to Enhance Poultry Feeds”
- “Current Feeding Practice”
- “The Challenge of High Feed Costs”
- “Raising Earthworms to Feed the Flock”
- “Protein from Thin Air: Breeding fly maggots for poultry feed”
- “Cultivating Soldier Grubs to Feed the Flock”
- “Feeding the Flock from Home Resources”